Free CDL Training, Competitive Wages & Great Benefits!
Every person who is hired to drive a school bus in the Rock Hill School District must:
- Have a valid driver’s license and be eligible to be trained to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL): Class B CDL, P/S & AIr Brakes Endorsements
- Be at least eighteen years old, and
- Meet all special physical, mental and moral requirements established by the particular state.
South Carolina law mandates that in order to be hired as a public school bus driver, an individual must:
- Meet all requirements for the commercial driver’s license for transporting students.
- Have no more than 4 current points against his or her driving record at the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Have had no more than 4 points against his or her driver’s license in the previous twelve months.
- Have not had his or her driver's license suspended for a moving violation within the previous twelve months.
- Complete the school bus training program within 180 days of the first day of classroom instruction.
- Have a current DOT physical examination recorded on a state-approved form that is signed by a DOT certified medical examiner prior to initial certification and have a DOT physical examination every two years thereafter; or as deemed necessary by the DOT certified medical examiner.
- Pass tests designed to identify illegal drug and alcohol use, with one of these tests being given prior to initial certification and the others being unannounced and/or random
- Have at least twelve months of driving experience.
- Undergo a criminal backround check and must have good moral habits
- Must have a clean driving record/history for the previous 10 years; driving records will be scrutinized and anyone with a DUI will be disqualified.
- Must be able to pass the SCDE Physical Performance Test.
(Please refer to the South Department of Education Bus Driver Training Workbook on our webpage for all of the listed requirements)
All full time school bus drivers must be available Monday through Friday to drive a morning and afternoon route.
You must be available to drive from (Times are approximate):
5:30 a.m. -- 9:00 a.m.
1:15 p.m. -- 5:45 p.m.
All full time school bus drivers for Rock Hill School District Three must be available Monday through Friday to drive a morning and afternoon route.
These routes run from approximately 5:30 a.m. – 9:10 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. A driver must be available to drive a morning and afternoon route to be considered for full time employment. A full time driver will be contracted for 6 hours per day for the first 6 months of employment, but may drive up to 8 hours a day by driving a midday shuttle and/or kindergarten route(s) when available. A driver's contract status can be changed from 6 hours per day to 8 hours per day after 6 months of employment based on their attendance & route availability.
Routes are available in the summer months and are assigned based on drivers attendence and route availability.
Training Observation Six Month Probation Observation
Rock Hill School District Three conducts background checks (Driving History, Previous Employment History, Civil History/Criminal Record) and selects driver candidates in accordance with its employee screening process. Candidates/temporary employees can be released from training/employment at any point during the employment consideration process: from submission of an application to (if successful) the end of a six-month, on-the-job probation/observation period. These checks are also conducted periodically through out a drivers employment. All infractions must be reported to your director as soon as possible. Failure to do so could lead to suspension and possibly termination of employment.
Benefits are available (health/dental insurance, sick leave & retirement) for drivers maintaining at least 30 regular hours each week – this does not include after hours or overtime hours.
Rock Hill Schools is an equal opportunity employer. The district does not discriminate in any of its programs, activities, services, and other operations on the basis of race, color, or national origin.
To Apply: Please submit a complete application along with the controlled substance testing release and the consumer reports release forms along with a copy of your current SC Drivers License.