2022 Summer ST-ARTS Program
What is ST-ARTS?
Special Talents in the ARTS (or ST-ARTS) is a weekday summer arts program held in June for 3 weeks. ST-ARTS is hosted and staffed by Winthrop University and students in grades 6-8 are eligible to audition in Music (voice or instrumental), Dance, Drama, and Visual Art. Please feel free to visit Winthrop’s ST-ARTS website at https://www.startswinthrop.com/
or Facebook page for more details.
How do I prepare for auditions?
● Music: Bring a solo piece to perform, two copies of the selection, and an instrumental tape/CD if needed.
● Dance: Small group auditions. Wear appropriate clothing. Three audition tasks will include warm-up, improvisation, and technique.
● Drama: Small group auditions. Audition tasks will include warm-up activities and individual improvisation. No make-up, costumes, or props allowed.
● Art: Student should bring a minimum of three original works that best represent the artist’s skills and interests. One must be a still life. Works should not be traced or copied (including cartoon images). Work can be 2D or 3D. No more than 4 works total. There will be a short interview and an on-site observation drawing.
What can I expect at ST-ARTS?
Your time at ST-ARTS will be spent in “major” and “minor” areas where you will experience instruction by world-class instructors on the Winthrop University campus. Students who are selected will participate in our summer program from June 6 to June 24, 2022, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. each day. The summer program will encourage students to conceptualize and create art through a variety of processes, classes, and experiences. Participating students and parents are invited to attend a Saturday orientation at Winthrop on May 14th, 2022 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to learn more about the summer activities.
Sponsorship to attend ST-ARTS is managed through each district separately. Please contact your district coordinator to find out more information on auditions and participation.
How do I get accepted into ST-ARTS?
- To attend the ST-ARTS program you must complete the online application. Applications can also be found on the Rock Hill Schools Website by clicking on Academics, Middle School, and ST-ARTS. Students can be referred for an audition (apply) by a parent, teacher, administrator, or themselves. The deadline to complete the online application to 2022 ST-ARTS is December 1st, 2021.
- Auditions will be held on Wednesday, February 1st from 4:30 until 8:00 p.m. at Rawlinson Road Middle School's auditorium. Transportation will be provided if needed. Students can choose to audition in visual art, instrumental or choral music, dance, or theatre.
- Prior to your audition, you will receive information about how to prepare for your audition. This will include specifics about the visual art portfolio as well as details about how to prepare to audition.
- Students will receive an acceptance letter approximately two weeks following the close of the audition window. ST-ARTS is a competitive program. Acceptance will be based on the student's audition score and number of applicants. There are limited slots to attend ST-ARTS, so please review the dates of the program carefully and make a commitment to attend the program should you be accepted.
For more information you may contact: Jennifer Morrison, Executive Director, Secondary Education. 803-981-1055