Mrs. Ali Dean, our Career Counselor, is available to meet with students to explore careers, career planning and assist with Resume Writing, College Preparedness and Career Goal Setting. Review the newsletter, Twitter and Facebook, and the Career Virtual Site (sites.google.com/view/virtualcareercorner) for upcoming career events. Contact information: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 803-981-1891
If you would like to receive more updates on upcoming college and career events, as well as other career resources, please visit the Virtual Career Center Site:
Job shadowing is an excellent opportunity for students to explore a career by experiencing the job for a day and gathering important information directly from a person working in a career field of interest.
- Job shadowing is encouraged for all students in 9th-12th grades
- Job shadowing is allowed 2x each school year from September 1st through April 30th at a time arranged by the student and parent --
To receive job shadow credit and an excused school activity day, the student MUST provide an excuse on the company letterhead where they job shadowed within three school days of the absence. The letter must include:
- date of the job shadow
- student’s name
- job shadow host’s name and signature
- address and phone number of company location
- parent's signature
- The student will be counted absent and the excuse letter must be returned within three school days to Mrs. Dean
- Students are not permitted to job shadow two days consecutively
- School Administraton may also designate days when job shadowing is prohibited, Students will be notified in advance when this occurs
****Due to COV-19, student's are not permitted to Job Shadow due to health and safety concerns during the Fall Semester. However, Mrs. Dean will be recording Zoom Interviews with Career Professionals beginning in Novemeber, as a substitute for Job Shadow Day. These videos will be upoladed to the Virtual Career Center Site. Link below:
For additional questions, please contact Mrs. Dean, School Career Counselor at ADean@rhmail.org or 803-981-1891
**STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING ARRANGEMENTS WITH TEACHERS FOR ANY MISSED WORK**
The South Carolina Occupational Information System (SCOIS) is the preferred Career Guidance System used by NHS students and it is free to all students. SCOIS has an abundance of college and career information and career guidance tools to help you and your student.
- Log on to www.scois.net
- Use the username northwestern and password trojans to get started
- Begin by setting up your own portfiolio so that you can save assessment results and career and college information
High School Resume
A high school resume is one of the most important marketing tools that you can use in selling yourself. Essentially your resume provides a snapshot picture of the "REAL" you: your interests, passions, achievements, and contributions BOTH in and out of the classroom.
Click the following links for a sample resume and a brief PowerPoint of how to develop a resume and why it's important...Here are the dates I have scheduled for senior resume workshops!