- Sullivan Middle School
- Blog for Canvas Parent Observers
What is Canvas? for parents new to Canvas
Posted by Kelly Scott on 8/20/2017 3:00:00 PM
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to provide instructional support, class calendars, assignments and resources for students in a safe online environment. For traditional face to face classes, Canvas is an integral part of sharing blended classroom instruction. All Canvas courses are developed by RHSD3 staff.
What is an Observer role in Canvas? Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course and a calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. For assistance with Assignments, Homework, Test Dates, Quizzes, or other Canvas course content, please contact your child’s teacher.
What can Parents view in Canvas? Below are the features available to Parents. Please note that not all courses use all features.
- Set your Notifications
- View the Dashboard
- View the course Syllabus
- View prompts but not participate in Discussions
- View but not submit Assignments
- Preview and download some Files
- View Canvas Grades
- View the Calendar
- Communicate with the teacher
How will Parents access Canvas?
- The link to the Canvas login is located at https://rockhill.instructure.com/login/canvas. Follow instructions for creating your parent login. You will need at least one of your child’s canvas account login information initially. Please remember to bookmark the Canvas login website for future quick and easy access.
- Your username and password are the email and password that you enter initially. For help with this signup, contact Shemia Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parents should not use their student's login credentials.
- There is an app in Google Play and the App Store for tablets and smartphones. Windows devices use the browser.
How can I learn more about being an Observer in Canvas?
For Sullivan’s blog for parents and canvas, click here