What is Montessori Education?
Montessori education focuses on individualized learning plans that are self-directed by each student taking responsibility for their own learning path. The philosophy of Montessori learning is based on the belief that children learn better when they have the freedom to choose what they are learning, how they learn it, and when they learn it. The emphasis is placed on creating independence and confidence, which in return, extends past the boundaries of the classroom.
The Montessori classroom is designed to provide a creative environment where a child can be inspired to naturally learn through play and academics.
What makes a Montessori classroom so unique?
- Classrooms comprise of mixed-age children
- Open concept layout
- Different lessons for different children, with each child given the opportunity to learn at their own pace
- Not uncommon for up to 3 hours of uninterrupted lesson blocks
- Students taking ownership of their learning
- Various hands-on stations throughout the classroom
- Activities and materials custom designed for children to choose throughout the day
- Teachers continuously move throughout classroom helping children vs traditional model of standing at the front of the classroom
Can my student benefit from the Montessori program?
Students in this program learn through the use of hands-on Montessori materials and lessons following state standards and curriculum. The program teaches students to be self-directed learners, work independently, and develop a deeper understanding of concepts. They will learn personal responsibility and time management by owning their individual work plans. Progress is at a pace according to each child’s needs and timing.
Given the combination of having both guided structure from a specially trained teacher and the freedom of choice, the student will develop life-long social and cognitive skills. With this style of educational instruction, children can recognize at an early age the joy of learning and associate learning as a fun process. This particular benefit can have a long-term impact and remain embedded within the child through their growing years and beyond.
Parents are strongly encouraged to support the Montessori philosophy at home in a continued effort to supplement the concepts learned in the classroom. Parent or guardian involvement helps to drive the student’s overall success in the program.
Program Specific Course Offerings/Instructional Models:
Montessori Curriculum and Montessori Teacher Certification