2018-2019 Choice Application Update
School of Choice applications are currently being reviewed. Applicants will be informed about selection via email and US mail on or before March 30, 2018.
Traditionally, children are assigned to a public school according to where they live. Rock Hill Schools recognizes that each student is unique and our choice/magnet programs are designed to help meet those needs and to nurture students’ talents, interests and aptitudes. School choice programs foster parental involvement and high expectations, and gives parents the opportunity to choose the school that will meet their child’s needs.
Accelerated Studies- Available Grades K-5
- Learning is enhanced through technology infusion, student choice, research opportunities, and expeditionary learning challenges.
- Learning is differentiated based on specific needs of students, high levels of academic challenge, and strategies for students with special needs
Arts- Available Grades K-5
- Learning is based on the integration of dance, drama, music and visual art.
- Learning is enriched through the arts and provides opportunities for all students to succeed by increasing self-confidence, self-expression, and self-discipline
International Baccalaureate- Available Grades K-8
- Learning helps students establish personal values as a foundation upon which international-mindedness will develop and flourish.
- Learning experiences develop an appreciation of and respect for other cultures through integrated instruction, global problem exploration, and critical thinking.
Inquiry- Available Grades 3-5
- Learning is a natural process that requires conversation, feedback, and reflection.
- Learning is a process that requires students to view and respect the world through multiple perspectives.
Language Immersion- Available Grades K-6
- Learning occurs in Spanish or French for 50% of instruction and in English.
- Learning in a bilingual environment increases flexibility in thinking.
Montessori- Available Grades K-2
- Learning is based on student choice and a hands-on discovery model.
- Learning is in the context of a multi-age classroom.
STEAM- Available Grades K-12
- Learning is grounded in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math.
- Learning is problem-based and project based across all grades.
We offer various models of choice including school-wide programs and school-within-a-school programs:
- Children's School at Sylvia Circle (Montessori)
- Ebenezer Avenue Elementary School (Inquiry)
- Ebinport Elementary School (Language Immersion- Spanish)
- Northside Elementary School for the Arts (Arts Integration)
- Oakdale Elementary School (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math)
- Richmond Drive Elementary School (Language Immersion- Spanish)
- Rosewood Elementary International School (Language Immersion- French and International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme)
- Saluda Trail Middle School (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math)
- South Pointe High School (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math)
- Sullivan Middle School (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme)
- Sunset Park Center for Accelerated Studies (Gifted & Talented)