- Senior meetings (involving the senior student, parents, and counselor) will begin the week of September 12th. Parents, you will receive an invitation by mail approximately two weeks prior to your student’s appointed time. Should you need to reschedule an appointment time, please call your student’s counselor.
- For seniors who have already applied or are in the process of applying to Colleges: if the school would like a paper copy of your transcript, you will need to bring your counselor an envelope with 1 stamp on it addressed to the admission office of the respective school and we will send an official transcript to that school. Do not put your home address as the return address. We will stamp Northwestern as the return address. Many schools today prefer an electronic copy as opposed to a paper copy. If this is the case, the College/University will make you aware of this preference during the application process. When requesting the transcript electronically, the College/University generally use one of three electronic forms: Sendedu, CollegeNet, or The Common Application.)
- Seniors may take 2 college visit days as well as 2 job shadowing days. Students who wish to job shadow must get the form from Mrs. Howell. The form must be completed and returned to Mrs. Howell at least 1 week prior to the job shadowing experience in order to have the day excused. Failure to follow this procedure will result in an unexcused absence. When taking a college visit day, the student must get documentation from the College/University on their official letterhead verifying the visit and submit it to the NHS attendance office upon returning to Northwestern to have the day excused.
- College Application Day for seniors is Wednesday October 5th. Various College admission counselors will be on campus to assist our students in applying to their respective school. See Mrs. Howell for additional details and to schedule an appointment.
- Winthrop University will host the Educational Opportunity Night on Monday October 17th from 6pm-8pm in McBryde Hall. There will be 80 + college admission counselors from Colleges/Universities throughout the Southeast present.
- Parents….. Elmore emails a Scholarship Newsletter to each senior and any interested parent at the beginning of each month. If you’re not receiving this email but would like to be added to the list, please contact Ms. Elmore and she will be happy to make you a part of the group email.
- IGP/Scheduling meetings for juniors will be conducted earlier this year. We will begin the junior class Student/Parent IGP/Class Scheduling conferences approximately the week of November 1st for the 2017-2018 school year. (Their 12th grade year.) Parents will receive an invitation by mail of the day and time of the meeting. Invitations will be mailed approximately 2 weeks prior to the conference time. Should you need to reschedule your appointed time, please call your student’s counselor.
- Juniors may take 2 college visit days as well as 2 job shadowing days. Students who wish to job shadow must get the form from Mrs. Howell. The form must be completed and returned to Mrs. Howell at least 1 week prior to the job shadowing experience in order to have the day excused. Failure to follow this procedure will result in an unexcused absence.
- Juniors planning to attend college are encouraged to take the SAT and ACT during the spring of their junior year. You should have already completed Algebra 2 first semester or be taking Algebra 2 during second semester.
- The PSAT will be offered to any interested junior on Wednesday October 19th. The cost is $16.00. You must register and pay the fee during your lunch period on Wednesday September 7th or Thursday September 8th in room 104. Space is limited. You will not be allowed to take the test if you do not register and pay on one of these two days.
- An SAT/ACT workshop for juniors only will be offered on Thursday November 17th. The cost will be $30.00. Space is limited. Registration dates will be announced at a later time.
- Winthrop will host the Educational Opportunity Night on Monday October 17th from 6-8 pm in McBryde Hall. There will be 80 + college admission counselors from throughout the Southeast present.
Sophomores & Freshmen:
- IGP/Scheduling meeting for sophomores and freshmen will take place between January 30th, 2017 and March 15th, 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. Parents will receive an invitation by mail of the day and time of the meeting. Invitations will be mailed approximately 2 weeks prior to the conference time.
Follow us on Twitter -- @Guidance_NHS
Like us on Facebook -- Northwestern High School Counseling Office